View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Variable air suspension

I've been thinking about lowering my suspension a few cm, to get less drag at highway speeds, but I'm afraid of being too low. The roads here have potholes deep enough to swallow your wheel, plus parking in the city usually involves climbing high curbs. Some cars have a hydraulic suspension system (many old Citroens, some SUV's), but those are heavy and tend to leak. While reading Mike's Insight I saw he added air springs and a small compressor to handle the weight of extra batteries. I wonder how hard and how expensive would it be to install air suspension? I'm thinking about a setup for all 4 wheels, which will let me lower the car 5-10cm on the highway and jack it up an extra 5cm when maneuvering in the city.
Would a project like this be worth the trouble? What kind of parts would I need, would I have to modify the suspension I have? How heavy would everything be?
I've seen jumping ghetto-mobile low-riders

but let's just say I don't want to go that far...

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread