View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
97Cavalier
97Cavalier

Yaris - '09 Toyota Yaris Base
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Wow, lots of replies to answer this morning Sweet...

The reason I was puzzled with the TPS reading is that in my 97 Cavalier (2.2L 4Cyl - 4Spd auto) the TPS would read 0 when I coasted, either in gear or in neutral. I'd kinda figured that 0 wasn't the true reading since the throttle would have to be open to allow fuel to flow and keep it running but seeing the reading of 16 just surprised me. Thank you for the info

As for the RPMs that I'm getting while driving, I don't have my ScanGuageII mounted yet. It's just wrapped around the steering column and lays wherever I can stuff it while I'm driving. From the times that I have looked at it though, at approx. 60mph in 5th I think the RPMs are between 2500 and 2700 but I'm not sure. I'll pay more attention on the way home from work tonight.

Also, I noticed this morning that when I'm cruising at 45mph or below and take my foot off the gas and coast while in gear, the MPG readout goes to 9999MPG after approx. 4 seconds. I only saw this reading in my Cavalier when I'd kill the engine and coast to a light or coast down a freeway ramp. So... does this mean that the engine is actually turning off during coasting? It doesn't feel like the engine shuts off because I still have excellent steering/braking control and none of the dash lights come on like they do when I get into the car in the morning.

As far as I know my Yaris doesn't have any special features like that but the engine is VVT-i so I'll do some reading on that today.

And that is all the time I have for the moment.

Thanks again to everyone that replied, I do appreciate it.

Drive safe,

Jeff