View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
shovel
Master EcoModder

I suppose it would depend on the vehicle but you should be mindful of suspension and steering geometry, wheels don't raise up and down on suspension in a straight line typically.

I had an Isuzu Trooper on which I had installed air shocks on all 4 corners, all of which were cross-linked (shared common air) so that on highly uneven terrain the contact pressure to the ground would be more equal - a dramatic increase in available traction for an independent front suspension vehicle. Because of the air pressure, I had to lower the vehicle from stock height so that when the shocks were pressurized, normal ride height was restored. I had an engineer friend build me a 4-way ball valve so I could simply reach down and isolate all 4 shocks for road travel. The ball valve leaked.... so after 2 or so days the 4x4 looked like a lowrider - but this had a frustrating side effect of dramatically changing the front wheels' camber since Troopers use unequal-length control arms. The top of the tires stuck way out, the bottom sucked in, and the edges of the tires saw most of the vehicle's weight. Obviously not a good thing.

So... lowering your vehicle for aero has merit, but be careful that you've thought it all the way through to make sure it's the right mod for your vehicle.