View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 01:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
jwxr7
EcoModding Apprentice

the metro experience (retired) - '94 geo metro 4 dr HB
90 day: 66.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainslug View Post
I have a blue one of those that I bought at a yard sale last summer for $2. It needed a belt and the throttle switch needed fixed. Mine is 24v 100w and doesn't have variable speed. The "drive" is just an on-off relay with some extra circuitry to make sure the speed is above 3mph before the motor comes on. I added a 3rd battery and it was a great improvement in performance but it melted the relay contact. I put a different relay in and bypassed the circuitry so it'll start the motor from a dead stop if I want. I've kept it at 24v since It wasn't my extra battery we tried. It only works decent on smooth level concrete. Even the road surface roughness slows it down alote. It may be worth trying 36v if you can mount the extra battery good if it has a hard tire and no suspension like mine. You will also want to see if yours uses the relay system to drive, and upgrade to bigger and better possibly variable speed control. These guys have lots of cheap parts to do that. http://tncscooters.com/view.php?page=Parts

Best tank= 81.23 mpg on 07-01-2008
Longest range= 791 miles on 9.74 gallons