View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
shovel
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by almightybmw View Post
With the old 4-cyl protege, headlights dropped me by 1mpg. It was a gutless motor with AWD, little things impacted it. In my GP, it has oodles of torque, headlights make no difference. In fact, I've gotten my second best mileage at night (mostly because there was no traffic to bother with). The truck has such rediculous terrible areo that I could run 4 100W offroad lights and it would return the same mpg.

It truly depends on the vehicle. Hence basjoos with his 2-3 loss, his awesome areo anything small has a huge affect.
This is an excellent example of why MPG is a terrible way of discussing fuel saving modifications.

No matter what kind of car you have, or what efficiency it has, a 55 watt light bulb is going to use 55 watts of electrical energy or roughly around 1/120th of a gallon per hour. Whether you drive an 85 dodge 1-ton or a torpedo shaped civic, 55 watts load on the alternator will be very nearly the same on any vehicle, and will burn very nearly the same amount of fuel. With 2 conventional headlights on, every 60 hours of driving you'll burn roughly 1 gallon of gasoline as a result of the headlights. I illustrated that in my post above. No matter what kind of car you have.