View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
round.boater
EcoModding Lurker

Okay,
Took of the mechanical fan and drove without for a while. I have been seeing about a 2 mpg improvement in the city (up to 16-17), and up to 21-22 on the highway - although I haven't had a tank-full run at 75 yet to compare. I went ahead and purchased an e-fan kit from Summit Racing, and have completed the install. Before all of this, my water temps on the ScanGuage ran 198-202 and would creep up to 206-208 going over I-70 (20 miles of up-grade to 10,000 ft). (We've only owned the truck since November, so I hadn't seen summer conditions) The weather has been warming up, and I've noticed my temps getting higher - up to 211 at an off-ramp after a flat run on the highway at 60 mph on a 70 degree day and it didn't cool down til I turned off the engine, regularly to 207-209 in town. I haven't been running the A/C, and haven't been towing. I've popped the hood, and my e-fans weren't running.
So, my questions:
1) Where should I have put the through-the-fins temp probes? They are the 170 degree on, 160 off kind. I have one for each fan, one probe is about 4" from the bottom center, the other is about 3" from the bottom left corner. My infrared thermometer had shown those areas to hit 200 when the water temp was reading 207 a while back.
2) The temp probes stick past the front side of the radiator by ~ 1.5-2", should they be cut down somewhat to be accurate?
3) Is there another way to check if I actually hooked the whole contraption up correctly?
4) Is 205-210 an okay range to run an '06 F-150? At what temp should I start to get nervous? Lots of posts about water temps seem to cite 190-200 an the correct range. The guage in the dash hasn't budged.

Lots of questions, thanks for any feedback you can give.