View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #523 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
$100!!! That's awesome!!!!!!! You are very talented. That's going to be a great controller. I saw your motor cycle. Very nice! What tools did you use to make such a beautiful box???!!! It was amazing!

That's the nice thing about a metal box is the heat can get out! hehe. My controller has an ATMega8 for PWM and monitoring throttle position, current, and temperature. Later I'll add a sensor to limit motor RPM too. I had an extra A/D channel I wasn't using, so why not? And it's only about an extra $5 to do it. Current limiting is also implemented in hardware. The hardware sends a signal to the microcontroller that the mosfet driver has been disabled. The microcontroller then waits for the current to come back under 500 amps, and then re-enables the mosfet driver.

I fixed a few mistakes in the program. I tested everything in the simulator, and it all seems to work very well. I think it's ready to put on the chip. Now all I need to do is finish the breadboard of the control circuit to test it out. Well, I also need to finish the dang box. It's getting close!

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 03-07-2009 at 11:13 PM..