View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 10:11 PM   #31 (permalink)
WaxyChicken
Nomadic Chicken

Sorry about the delay, I don't get much internet time during the weekends. During the week I surf here while I'm at work.

I e-mailed crown because I hope to find out what the PSL plugs are for and what the 2 RPMs are. (This will help me calculate speed for transmission gear ratios.)

THANK YOU Tom, your quick post showed me that BOTH motors are good.
I tested them with a 12V 750CCA 500CA auto battery. both sound great.
There is something rolling around inside the case of the giant motor, i'm hoping it's just a bit of sand or pebble that i can shake out. if not then i'll have to pop the case and find the cause. If i do have to open up the case then i'll spend some time to find out what the PSL plugs are wired for.

Can i regen off of the Engine motor or will i be using the Jr. size motor? I guess I'll have to do some more research.

My wife won't let me get a target vehicle until I do two things:
1 - sell Big Ben. There is rust in him and i don't want to get in there and find a ton of problems such as Metro had to deal with.
2 - Figure out what i'm going to do for a controller.

After that i'm in clear so long as i stay in budget.
Costs so far:
$60 for main drive motor
$30 for smaller motor (this was the main drive motor of a stand-on forklift)

Also, before I actually use the motor in the auto, I'll probably clean it up and paint it (preserving all markings). Since there are almost no oils in an EV car, there is no reason i can't have everything pretty under the hood.

Thanks for the input and info, guys. As always you've been extremely helpful.
When i start my build thread I'll probably title it something like
"EV Conversion For The Average Dummy"