View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Vwbeamer
EcoModding Apprentice

Ruint Taco - '19 Toyota Tacoma SR Double Cab
90 day: 23.76 mpg (US)
I have dual electric fans on my 79 chevy truck hooked to a 210 thermostat to turn the fans on. They have never came on unless i was stuck in traffic or towing a heavy load.

When I first put them on, I thought they was broken. I had to hold the truck with the brake and rev the motor at a fast idle to get it to heat up enough to turn the fan on. ( bad for tranny, i know)

Speeds above 20 mph or so seem to provide enough airflow to keep the motor cool.

Idling in traffic is the most demanding, especially when getting off the highway and getting stuck in traffic. The motor is heat soaked, and you do not have the high speed air stream to cool it.

You could get a simple single 14 in fan and thermostat, and just zip tie to the radiator. that will be cheap ( ~$130.00 )and easy for normal driving.

Put the stock fan on if you are going to tow, and you'll have the 14 efan as back up.

This the controller I'm using-

Derale 16749 - Derale Deluxe Adjustable Controllers with Pipe Threaded Probes - summitracing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I was gonna convert my F150 to e-fan but so far have been too lazy/cheap to buy one. So I pulled the mech fan off... and that was it. So far I've had no problems running NO fan. Of course not everybody can pull this off but I have been surprised at how much I've gotten away with- summertime operation, pulling a trailer, etc.

P.S. I've been carrying the fan and wrench needed to re-install it on board ever since I pulled it off a year ago... just in case. Have yet to put it back on.