View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Deezler
Master EcoModder

Bio Deezler (sold) - '03 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI
90 day: 50.78 mpg (US)

The Beast. - '03 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT
90 day: 12.86 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson4web View Post
Did you have two heating elements in series that you wired in parallel? If not, you would be getting about 1/4th the heat:
Two heating elements? The heater came ready to install, I didn't crack the case on it. I'm not sure it's reconfigurable but I'll have to look into it. Here's a schematic of the internals, not much detail.

Thanks for the info though. I do plan to experiment with the timer until I find the optimal heating duration. I only have one hour increments to adjust but I can shift the timer's current time for when I would be unplugging the heater to drive away.

This morning I had 82F in 42F ambient garage after ~2 hours. But the timer then went off and I was back down to 72 by the time I started the engine.
One counter-productive aspect of installing this heater is the additional quart of coolant needed just to fill it. doh.

The big surprise was on the highway when my temps just kept climbing; the thermostat doesn't open until 206F! Arg. A little higher than I was hoping for, but the fans still don't come on at this temp, so I guess it's ok. The oil temps were ~15F hotter as well, so that's good.

No FE benefit from this mornings scan gauge reading, but I'll try to be patient. The car definitely runs smoother at 206F vs. 180, but some of the power crispness is gone under load, too. Oh well.