View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Big Dave
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
I like the project idea. A Benz four cylinder diesel and four speed dropped into a S-10. The engine is legendary for its durability and being straight mechanical, it requires no computer brain surgery.

I myself like the funky panache of the five-cylinder 617.952 (you have to learn Mercedesspeak) engine at an idle, but at 125 HP, it is probably too powerful for a fangs-out MPG project.

There are all sorts of mod kits for S-10s. I’d start with a practical 3”/5” lowering (slam in sport truck parlance) kit. This is low enough to get you a noticeable improvement in MPG but will not high center you on every dead dog on the road.

Air dams and “ground effects” (side skirts) kits galore are available off the shelf.

One thing to consider. The drive shaft will have to be specially made. Benz drive shafts use a DIN flex plate (three big rubber bushings) each end at each end where the GM axle uses a SAE U-Joint. The DIN joint is a bit touchy about alignment where the SAE is usually A-OK if the alignment mismatch does not exceed five degrees.

In any project the fewer “wheels” you have to re-invent, the better the project. The wealth of off-the –shelf stuff available for the S-10 makes it a favorite among project builders.

Don’t forget a tonneau or fastback fairing. Very effective in improving MPG.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam