View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wonderboy
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
I've been busy and haven't been able to get back for a while, but here's a shot from further away:

Quote:
Highway driving is tough in these cars. Especially so with your EX. The gear ratios are killer! Mine are bad, but yours are worse.
That's bad news.. I don't want bad ratios! I discovered something weird on a huge trip I had to take the other day: I usually go 50-55, but I was forced to speed to get somewhere to pick up someone else's slack. It turns out that the SGII indicated my mileage was no different going 60-70 than it would be going 50-55. Here's my fuel log, describing the circumstances:

Quote:
Huge tour of upstate NY for work.
Binghamton>Utica>Syracuse>Rochester>Around Rochester>Horseheads>Binghamton.

Tank was pretty low towards the end, but I was determined to make it back, and did.

A great deal of the trip (up until rochester) was in nasty cold rain. Even with rain, it felt like my brake "fix" was working against me. I slammed the brakes a few times when I could to see if that improved it, but by the time the rain went away, the mileage was more characteristic.

My eyes were glued to the SGII for this trip and I noticed a few things:
-My final MPG was very different from the mpg I saw most commonly displayed (35MPG)
-Going fast (normal people speed) didn't seem to change my mileage. I had to rush from Rochester to Horseheads (120mi) and I did about 65-73. This didn't change what the SGII read: When I drove 55, the MPG readout bounced around the 30s, and was in the lower 20s when I accelerated) The road/sky was dry for this leg of the trip.
-Doing an "Engine ON coast" seemed to work well when I was going about 70 - I would SLOWLY decrease my speed from 70 to about 60, then more quickly accelerate back to 70 (I tried to make this happen on downhills) and repeat.
Any explanations? I'm happy with about 42MPG for that trip anyway with how the cold has been affecting my mileage.

BTW, thank you to wilkes and pale for the SGII hybrid setting tip That did the trick.