View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
instarx
EcoModding Dilatant

Volvo - '00 Volvo V70 XC AWD SE
90 day: 27.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Man View Post
I use to work at a facility where molded polyurethane car bumpers and body components. The chemical components used to make polyurethane have a warning label stating that exposure can cause cancer. There were several people that worked there that if they were exposed to the raw materials for more than a few minutes would get where they could barely breath. I know several of them were take to the emergency room for these symtoms. I don't want anything like that going into the oven my food is being prepared in.
Making plastic from raw chemicals and heating a plastic article are two very different things.

Of course you are free to be as cautious as you want to be, but in my professional opinion the risk of any negative health effects from heating a few ounces of plastic in your oven is near zero. It is about as hazardous as the "new car smell" when you buy a new car - which comes from off-gassing of the plasticizers used in interior components.

And by the way - shame on that company for sensitizing their employees. That does not have to happen.

Last edited by instarx; 03-13-2009 at 02:17 PM..