Thread: Spring F-EV-er
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 04:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Trevs
EcoModding Lurker

On the subject of desulfating:

Pretty neat stuff. I have a car that was brought over directly from Japan that this had probably happened to. The battery in a jdm vehicle is tiny compared to that of the vehicles in the usdm. It finally stopped working on me last year, so I temporarily stuck a big one out of a usdm 300zx in there. I had thoughts of getting the Skyline battery rebuilt, but maybe all it needs is a good desulfating.

I only drive the car in the summer, so maybe, like as stated in the article, junk built up on the plates inside the battery while the battery was not in use like the golf cart stored over the winter situation. I want to keep using the small jdm battery because it was designed for use in that vehicle. I don't know if the charging system is up to par in that car to sustain a proper charge on the large usdm battery.

My power steering kept conking out on me last year (still operating but getting real hard) when being driven on short trips; it would come back after long highway runs. which one reason could be an insufficient charge in the battery on startup signals the steering pulse solenoid not to operate defaulting it to the hardest steering setting for safety reasons; not the softest setting as the input at high speeds could cause the car to react to fast (max speed; speed sensitive steering on a 90's car). At least that is what I hope it is.

This is important for me to know as I do not have any plans as of now to be operating my electric vehicle, once built that is, during the winter, so it will likely sit for six months out of the year.

As for the tool:

why haven't I heard of these before? You would think that these would be more common to keep waste down and keep batteries going - - wait a minute, there's no money to be had in that.

Very good stuff!

Trevs