View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 08:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Johnny Mullet
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
No sense in screwing around drinking beer and admiring how pretty she is, it's time to fix this Volvo!

Oil was coming from the dipstick, the oil cap, and even engine seals. This is usually a problem with the vent system in these cars for the crankcase ventilation. I decided to document this repair in case anyone else needs to do this. So far this job was done with simple hand tools.

I removed the fuel rail and realized it did not have to come off, but it's nice to have some extra room. The fuel line was unhooked and then the cover and 2 bolts for the rail.

Grab the fuel rail and carefully and evenly pull it straight out........

I then removed all the vacuum lines to the throttle body and intake and removed the throttle cable. After that, I removed the large hose from the throttle body......

I then removed all the top bolts on the intake manifold and simply loosened the lower bolts. I had to use a 10MM 1/4" drive swivel socket for the lower bolts..........

Under the intake are 2 more 12MM bolts. One is a brace from the bottom of the engine to the intake and the other is the dipstick tube (marked with red dot) and you basically cannot see these, but feel around and you will find them.........

After that, carefully lift the intake and snake the hose through. If you feel anything catch, stop and check for vacuum lines you may have missed....

Now we get to the good part. Here is a nice shot of the oil trap after the intake is out of the way. Please note the bracket where it bolts to the bottom of the intake......

All the hose to the box have clamps that need cut off to remove. A good pair of diagonal pliers works well. You will need to replace them with worm clamps.........

Remove the intake brace.............

Remove the 2 bolts holding the box. One is hidden on the right side and you will see later........

Loosen the small clamps attaching the small hose. They are small Torx bolt clamps.....

Oh! Here is that hidden bolt! I found it after breaking it........

Since it was getting late, I had enough time to scrape some of the carbon and gunk from the ports with a screwdriver. Tomorrow, I will do more cleaning and update. I do see a lot of carbon and gunk in the hoses attached to the oil trap and the trap is nasty also, but have not found a blockage yet. Hopefully I find it tomorrow.

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?