View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 01:53 AM   #572 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
If there are no major problems, I predict a test very very soon. And I mean soon. Not tomorrow, but really soon. I think I'll test it at the bike first at 12v. Hardware current limiting will be set to 500 amps (actually 497 amps I think. The resistors just worked out that way hehe), though, so I doubt I will get a chance to see that part in action. The short circuit current through the motor is only like 50 amps or something (maybe limited by the bike batteries? I used to ride it with an on/off switch and no controller).

After shortening the controller box by a little over an inch, I now have to make it just a bit taller! haha! Man, version 2 is going to be 1,000,000 times easier!

I need to put the emergency big beefy andersen connector disconnect in the car. Not that I think it will be a problem, its just that mosfets fail in a short circuit state (read "full throttle! Won't Stop!!!). Hmm.. I wonder how I know that? And I mean "KNOW THAT!", NOT LIKE I READ IT SOMEWHERE! hahahaha!

So Ben, put an emergency disconnect switch in that car of yours. Assuming the 12v bike test and 72v car test work as they should, and I see no reason why they shouldn't, expect a little present in the mail by the end of the month.

Moment of prayer: Dear God, please don't let Ben die while testing this controller. Amen!