View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #72 (permalink)
MazdaMatt
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
I see no reason to say "made in china = bad food". Many things that I buy and enjoy are made in china... I actualy go directly to the chinese grocers in town to get things. They have better (and natural!) soy sauces than the "regular" grocers, they have amazing chinese mangoes (drool) and Aloe Juice (sounds gross, actually incredible and healthy, good with vodka, too ) and many other foods that are just better because they are from china. They also have tonnes of sketchy crap that i'd rather not even walk down the same isle as. I'm absolutely afraid of the oyster flavoured potato chips, but that has less to do with additives... funny, Lay's never thought to use oysters or shrimp on their chips... wonder why!?

I also buy american food... look at some obesity stats and you'll say "oh god, don't buy food from that country, its screwed up!". I couldn't go living on maple syrup and cod for the rest of my life

Also, there's no reason to say that canned food is inherintly less tasty than fresh food. Many things are much tastier because the product goes from the field to the can at the peak of its ripeness... instead of riding a truck from mexico to ontario, then from warehouse to warehouse to warehouse to shelf. Same with frozen food. You get more flavour from frozen berries (of good brand name) than from fresh ones, unless you are buying from a local farm stand.