View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
McTimson
Master EcoModder

Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XLT
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)
Some graphs of temperature vs. MPG

I started trip logs for my drive to and from school, and I'm bored right now, so I made some graphs of the data. I record the date, distance traveled, EOC miles on that trip, MPG for the trip, and the temperature. The distance, EOC, and MPG are measured by my MPGuino, and the temperature I look up at Welcome to Weather Underground : Weather Underground.

It's obvious that temperature makes a pretty big difference in MPG, but I thought I would make some graphs of it anyway, it's pretty interesting how the MPG follows the temperature:

First, the MPG vs. Temp and EOC vs. Temp on a log scale axis for my trips to school:

You can see a pretty good correlation between MPG and temperature here, but it's better if I take the log of the temperature, and then graph it:

And the same thing for trips from school:

And with the log of the temperature...

The EOC figures can't really be directly related to the temperature, because my EOC practices are more determined by other people on the road. If there are people behind me on one of the roads I travel, I usually won't EOC as much, because there are no passing zones, and I feel bad making everyone else go 35 in a 55. I think it just worked out that on nicer days, there were fewer people behind me

It's only a small time frame, so the correlation isn't perfect, but I thought it was still interesting to see.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mpg and eoc from school.JPG
Views:	495
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	2956   Click image for larger version

Name:	mpg and eoc to school.JPG
Views:	505
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	2957   Click image for larger version

Name:	mpg logtemp from school.JPG
Views:	491