View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
hummingbird
PaleMelanesian's Disciple

City - '04 Honda City iDSI EXi
90 day: 47.47 mpg (US)
Inflatable boat-tail - concept stage...

I recently went through Indian Motor Vehicle Rules 1989 - the statute that governs road-legal status of vehicles in India. The rules state that modifying a vehicle substantially (an aerocivic-style mod is extreme, so would fall under this category), would result in voiding the road-legal status of the vehicle.

Rules enforcement in India is chaotic at its best, and left to individual enforcer's whims at worst. That means any cop can quote this rule, and take any step he thinks fit, including upto impounding the vehicle calling it a danger to traffic.

A boat tail reduces turbulence related drag very effectively, and can help FE substantially, if implemented. But it is in conflict with the rules as explained above. So what do we do?

I am thinking of an inflatable boat tail, which will be built using a tarpaulin so that it is a water and air tight balloon of conical shape, its base corresponding roughly with the rear surface of the vehicle. The base could be rigid, secured to the rear surface at a few easy-snap-fit points. it could have an inlet for inflation that could be done from an exhaust bleed. The cone can have a small opening at the tip to bleed excess exhaust gas.

Please keep in mind I am thinking of this for a sedan, where the balloon is only for the last part of the boat-tail, starting at the end surface of the boot. If this is not sufficient, a clear - aerocivic style tapering panel will be required to keep view through rear windshield. Or else, a rear view camera with a monitor could be used. (Yeah I know, but thinking don't cost a thing!)

The stock lights can be maintained, with tapering plastic covers on them that would meet with the inflated profile of the balloon. Similar cover can be put over the number plate. In the absence of the balloon, the only evidence of mod would be those tapering covers over the lights and number plate.

Will this work? I am too delusional? What could go wrong here? Any better suggestions?