View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #38 (permalink)
snuggle.pants
EcoModding Lurker

I think the series hybrid would do the job. Check out Mother Earth News for old articles on this subject. The need for a battery pack or capacitor pack to handle some of the load is probably necessary. You could run on electric only for short trips and go to ICE when necessary. I live in central Texas, hot and humid 8 months or more of the year, air conditioning is almost a necessity in a car. I drive older cars and trucks and can repair them if/as needed. The nearest major city is about 50 miles away. I like my counrty lifestyle. I am self employed and work within 60 miles of home. I have seen an article on this site about changing the voltage on alternators. Essentially a generator could by modified to make 120VDC instead of AC. I've thought of using 2-3 GM digital alternators (produce 100amps just off idle in my 74 truck) belt driven by a 13-20hp ICE and ac compressor for cooling the people tank in a sand car chassis (really light weight). The first one would not need an air conditioning system but could prove useful to test the alternator/generator as charging.