View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Blue Bomber Man
EcoModding Apprentice

GreenMile - '00 Mazda Protege ES
90 day: 34.45 mpg (US)
That is not a bad idea for doing it, and I might look into doing it that way as well.

The main complications I for see in doing it that way are these:

-Steering would probably have to be by wire
-Steering by wire would probably want an electric steering system
-Would probably require the vehicle to be frontwheel drive and thus need two motors
-Controlling a two motor setup is likely more expensive

Direct Benefits:

-Simplified body construction
-Possibly tighter turning radius (depends on much you can force the vehicle to turn without the rear wheel skipping)
-Indirectly allows for a more powerful drive system.

If I could keep that same system rear wheel drive it would be extremely maneuverable though. This could be done by either doing a hub motor setup (difficult to find one powerful enough that is actually on the market: 15kw+) or by enclosing the motor in with the rear wheel setup; a setup that requires strong considering in this application.

TestDrive:

Here is a marked up image:

I haven't move any components around yet for the previous adjustments I noted I wanted to make in an earlier reply.

Also on my Mazda Protege from the front of my seat to the back of the pedals is ~24". I am only 5'8" but that is with my legs fully extended. So I assume if I design 6-10" of travel into the seat position that it could easily accommodate larger people. If I decide to move on with the front section steering there would be a footbox space cut out of the front section to allow the legs to clear into it some to provide more room. As long as the whole section didn't need to turn more then about 15-20 degrees this would not impede movement of the outer front section walls as they swing inward.

I definitely want to put some more thought into designing a rear swinging assembly similar to what pasadena_commut was suggesting. It would depend on me verifying that I could maintain rearwheel drive which I think would improve the steering in this situation.

As a side note: I am using Screenshots then pasting them into MS paint. I'd like to be posting these images cropped but I don't see an option for that in paint, any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Measurements.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	2987  

Please come visit and comment!