View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 07:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
2009 Prius Base - $19k

In a dilemma and figured I'd bounce it off you guys here to either talk me into it or talk me out of it...

Over the past two months I've been tinkering with the idea to trade my 2005 4runner in for a Prius. Obviously, comparing the cars MPG and environmental impact it's a no-brainer but I really want to wait for the 2010 PHEV. And, because I'm at about even with my payments over the last 2 years and what's still owed on my 4runner I've essentially been leasing the car for $400 a month (since what I've paid and what the value of the car is at is about the same right now). If I wait for another year or so for the PHEV my car (barring major accidents) should be worth more than what is left to pay on my loan.

Well, I decided to drop into my local Toyota dealer today and came across a 2009 Prius (base model) for 22,900. After talking with the sales guy for awhile he quoted me $19,900 for the car and he would give me $12000 for my trade (what is still owed on my 4runner that I bought from the same dealership about 2 years ago).

I only drive about 12-15k miles a year so the fuel savings between a 4runner and Prius are not going to be that much over the course of a year (even if gas is at $4 a gallon). We're talking $1000-1800 saved in fuel over a year (although that does equal 3 or 4 car payments).

So do I go for the good price on the Prius (or maybe the price will go down further when the next gen comes out in a couple months)? Or, wait for the PHEV (and it's higher price tag)? Is it possible to upgrade the 2009 base prius to a PHEV and what is the cost if possible?

Let me know what you think...thanks!

Last edited by Matt Herring; 03-20-2009 at 07:48 PM..