View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
oldertech
OldertechGuy

Scott'sTxVx - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 48.7 mpg (US)
Smile Update!! Success!!! Lean Burn!!!!!

Success!!! Much has happened since the first post.

I didn't make it clear that the flashing was not normal code flashing, it was a fast flashing, like something was very wrong, along with the clicking of the ignition relay. Turned out I had indeed missed the ground wire that goes from the engine loom to above the thermostat housing. Hooked that up, had a momentary panic when it tried to start, and revved rapidly. Close! I had switched two of the sensor connectors, the one to the IAC with the vacuum solenoid. Then it started and NO CEL!! Yeah!!!

For the road test and I was hoping that I'd have a Shift Indicator light. No light. And nothing really felt different. I did the paperclip in the engine diagonstic connector and the CEL didn't act right when turning on the ignition.

Fortunately I had another 49state P07 ECU. Hooked that one up, took it for a drive and lo and behold, the CEL passed the paperclip test and on the road, Leanburn!!! It's amazing that 14 years after the car is made, and over 220000 miles, the engine can now can do what it was supposed to do in 1995, staying true to it's design.

OK, back to the SIL. I took our "replacement" instrument cluster out. We had had a speedometer failure when we got the car, and the junk yard sold us a true 49state speedo cluster with the white box surrounding the SIL, unlike our old speedo. I pulled out speedo out and saw that there is a socket that had nothing to connect to. Reading the wiring diagram I see that there is a 5-pin connector that we are missing on the California-spec loom. I'm sure that I can run a wire from the light to the ECU and get the SIL to work, but I'm wondering, did the VX and CX have a separate wiring loom to the 5-pin connector that I'm missing? Or was there a 5-wire connector in the instrument cluster loom that they just left out. Amazing that a car designed for a single state would have a different dashboard loom AND engine loom from the 49state car.

Wrapping up, it seems that the 49-state engine loom will indeed mate with the california body and give you 5-wire a and leanburn. Very exciting! The rewiring of a secondary loom with junkyard connectors project just seemed too cumbersome for me.

Now that I'm experiencing leanburn for the first time, I'm detecting that it works in all gears when the car is warm? What are the parameters for it's operation? Fully warm cat? When driving around town I can be moving along with a light throttle and give it a slight bit more gas and feel a gentle increase in power. It's brilliant. Does anyone ever wire up a light to show you when leanburn is engaged?

That's about it for today. Haven't done any mileage checks yet because we just were driving around town.

Scott