View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
90metro
diggin' the MPGs!

Snowball - '90 Geo Metro
90 day: 51.78 mpg (US)

Mr. Incredible - '91 Metro Convertible LSI
90 day: 36.38 mpg (US)

Red Dawn - '90 Geo Metro

Blue Boy - '88 Chevy Sprint Metro
1990 Geo Metro hatchback; improved mpg

I've owned my 1990 Geo Metro hatchback for almost a year now. Bought it with 22k original miles and it now has 39k. I have a long commute for work and it's my daily driver. I've never done anything except put gas in it, the occasional oil change and filters, and wash it when it's dirty. However, I noticed a drop off in mpg from 50 to 43 or 44. So I finally took it in to a trusted mechanic friend for diagnostics. The fuel injector was leaking gas at idle, causing it to idle rough. Plus it wasn't distributing the fuel correctly. The distributor cap was cracked, and sparks caused the car to misfire. The water pump had a small leak as well. So, after a new fuel injector, distributor cap, rotor button, timing belt, drive belt, wire set, water pump and major tune up, the mpgs have improved dramatically. I'm still waiting for this tank to empty out to I can know for sure, but I believe I'm up to 50+ again.

The car has awesome pickup too. I've acccidentally been squealing the tires, and I'm able to keep up getting on the highway onramp. Later!