View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 12:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
In hypermiler central

[SOLD] Highway Warrior - '00 Mazda Protege LX 1.6L Manual
90 day: 35.93 mpg (US)

Basic Miata - '06 Mazda Miata Touring
90 day: 30.93 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyfreeze View Post
Okay, I'll bite. My first post here!

I'm new, but a fan of weight reduction for performance and efficiency. I'll reveal my vehicle and mpg improvements later after I've done some aero work, but here are some weight reduction ideas for you:

front passenger headrest (easy to replace if you have a passenger)
rear selt belts and hardware, if you didn't already
Oh sh*t handles, if it has them
visor (I'm 6'4", so I use the roofline--for you shorter folks, remove the passenger side visor!)

You did already pull out all the loose junk that most people keep in their car, right? Move everything out into a pile and ask yourself "do I need this" as you put each item back. I left out the zippered case to my owner's manual, the ashtray, and the cigarette lighter, all of which added up to about a pound. Hey, every little bit counts. Don't think of the tiny savings you'll get from this, think of how much we'd save if millions of people did it.

One last idea--my aftermarket Pioneer CD receiver/head unit weighs about a half pound less than the factory 6 disc CD changer.
Yeah, I don't really keep anything in my car. I think the rear seat belt hardware is a good idea. I think I might take out the plastic bits of the rear doors and some interior trim.