View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
zjrog
Ecomod noob

ZJ - '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Upcountry
90 day: 20.57 mpg (US)

Neon - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)

S'Crew - '02 Ford F150 Supercrew XLT
90 day: 16.4 mpg (US)

Ranger - '90 Ford Ranger
Last 3: 28.02 mpg (US)

Not the Jeep - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 34.11 mpg (US)
West Desert Utah checking in...

Where to begin... First off, I drive a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Currently getting 20 MPG out of it. I know I can do better, but still, not too bad for a 13 year old station wagon. After lurking and reading decided to sign up, as there is another 95 Grand on the board.

My GC DOES have the overhead console with the economy readout. I had a 94 Chrysler Concorde before that had that feature. I'm sure it is not as instananeous or as accurate as the Scan Gauge I see some using. But it is a far cry better than flying blind. I also use synthetic oil in the motor, will try a different synthetic ATF fluid as soon as I find something safe to use with this transmission. Also, the transfer case has synthetic fluid, and the differentials will be getting synthetics too.

As I've gotten older, I have slowed down, so mileage has been getting better. I commute 100 miles a day round trip, but carpool, so I really only have to drive 1 day a week. Four of us in the pool, working 4 10 hour days. Two ways to save fuel right there.

Yes, I own other vehicles but won't be discussing them for sometime. I'm more interested in doing more for my Jeep at the present.

I do use my Jeep for offroading. I make no apologies for that. I'm in with a couple clubs that do trail repair and maintenance. We are big on trail etiquett and education to keep people on trails. Most people do the right thing when educated. Some can't be taught sadly. And those are the ones that give all of us a bad name.

So back to the Jeep. No, it isn't getting a huge lift nor the biggest tires. I currently ride on 30" tires, but they are relatively narrow. I am thinking about 31" tires in the future. I do not want to go bigger than that because it is my DD and going too big is a killer on fuel. I see that taking my roof rack off could help, are there some real world numbers for that? I do not carry as much stuff in the Jeep during the week as I would for offroading. But I do carry some emergency items, the long commute mixed with where I work make this a must. I do not have subwoofers or other extras.

Because I do take the Jeep offroad, I'm preparing to build solid bumpers for it. I am taking into account airflow and resistance, but do need solid protection too, as well as clearance. Also, I see belly pans of benefit to improve aero, I'm sure I can incorporate some sort of pan with lower body protection too. No reason these have to be mutually exclusive.

I'm curious about using some sort of open source software to be able to model aero/wind tunnel figures. I'd prefer some sort of Linux application.

While I make no apologies for my choice of vehicle or how I use it, I will apologize ahead of time if I ruffle feathers. THAT is not my intention. I have views that may differ from others. I have a right to express those views as others have a right to express theirs. I spent 20 years in the service of my country to help preserve those rights. I am, an acquired taste.

So this is me. Interesting place you have here, I DO very much look forward to learning ways to save fuel/money here.