View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008, 12:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
zjrog
Ecomod noob

ZJ - '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Upcountry
90 day: 20.57 mpg (US)

Neon - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)

S'Crew - '02 Ford F150 Supercrew XLT
90 day: 16.4 mpg (US)

Ranger - '90 Ford Ranger
Last 3: 28.02 mpg (US)

Not the Jeep - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 34.11 mpg (US)
I drive much like I used to ride a motorcycle. And much like I used to when I drove faster than I needed to. Meaning, watching far ahead down the road. Its rarely the car in front of you that is the problem. And when I was driving faster, being proactive is a plus, for a lot of the same reasons you can save fuel. Stay off the brakes keeps your speed/momentum up (but for the faster crowd, Law enforcement watches frequent brake lights too...). Yes, I learned to slow down. But a lot of how I drive stayed the same. Your description is spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
...and that, my friend, is what makes all the difference. The vast majority of drivers out there are reactive: things happen and they react to them. Someone pulls in front of them and they tromp the brakes, the light turns green and they stomp the gas.

The proactive driver leaves earlier, drives far, far ahead of himself and sees situations develop long before they can begin to affect him directly. He changes his driving now so that when he arrives where the situation is happening, his rate of progress, traffic position etc will absorb the situation and be unaffected by it. And the proactive driver arrives at work relaxed.