View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Non-invasive mounting for kammback

I figured today while I got the Celebrity out, I would get started on the trunk lid kammback that I have been wanting to do. This is my nicest car so I do not want to drill into it. Over the winter I have been thinking of non-invasive, simple but secure ways to attach it to the trunk lid and I think I have come up with a good solution.

I measured under the trunk lid and the panel lip extends 5/8" inward before it gets to the thick part of the trunk frame. After work I cut out some scraps of 14 ga stainless steel 1" x 1 1/2" and drilled a 3/8" hole. Then I bent them 90 degrees to make a 5/8" lip. I cut up some scraps of 1/8" thick rubber, 5/8" x 1" to protect the bottom of the trunk lip, and electrical taped one to each bracket. I also taped around the vertical part of the bracket to protect the edge of the trunk lip.

I went to Lowe's and picked up two 6 ft pieces of 1/4-20 threaded rod, and 12 ft of some clear rubber hose 5/16" ID. I cut the rods a little wider than the rear of the car so I can trim them once the kammback is done and attached at the proper width. I cut the hose to the width of the trunk lid and slid it onto the rod to protect the trunk lid. Then I slid a bracket onto each side, gripping the trunk lip, and tightened a 1/4-20 nut onto each side to tension the rod and keep everything secure. Total was under $10.

This may be a good way to attach to other vehicles as well, for those who do not want to drill into the vehicle.

I was tossing around a full boattail or kammback. I have decided on what my original plan was, to start with a hinged kammback onto the trunk lid so I can use the trunk. Then if I want to later, I can still build a fixed boattail onto the steel bumper that will follow the lines of the kammback. The kammback will hinge on the rear rod so I can open the trunk without hitting the back window, and it will lock at the front somehow, maybe with a nyloc wingnut or something more elaborate. It will need to be a sturdy frame and a good secure attachment so the wind does not catch it and rip it off. I am sure I can come up with something light, attractive, cheap, and roadworthy.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kammbase1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	3025   Click image for larger version

Name:	KammbaseTop.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	3026   Click image for larger version

Name:	KammbaseBottom.jpg
Views:	173