View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 12:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
In hypermiler central

[SOLD] Highway Warrior - '00 Mazda Protege LX 1.6L Manual
90 day: 35.93 mpg (US)

Basic Miata - '06 Mazda Miata Touring
90 day: 30.93 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyfreeze View Post
I agree with hummingbird and Neil. You don't want to remove the headrest in a seat where somebody is actually sitting. And from what I've read you can probably net bigger gains by changing driving habits and doing aerodynamic mods.

But this thread is about weight reduction, so let's continue down that path!

Fluids are heavy. Don't gas up until you're running on fumes and consider filling up only half way. Also, don't fill your windshield wiper reservoir completely full.

Does the Protege engine have a plastic cover? It's probably just for show. While you're under there, do you really need to drive around all the time with the heavy steel hood prop?

If you're not serious about audio quality, think about removing the rear speakers. You'll lose some bass but still have a good soundstage up front.

I have more ideas but they either:

1. cost money
2. don't save much weight
3. cause too much inconvenience

So I think I'll stop for now.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm definitely working on driving and aerodynamic mods, but I also don't see any reason to carry around stuff I don't need. I like the idea of removing the speakers, and all I ever use the stereo for is podcasts and audio books.

I'll keep the headrests--I would prefer not to sacrifice safety to lighten the car nominally.

As far as fluids, I'll start keeping the windshield washer fluid low. If you get a chance to look over my fuel log, you'll see that ALL of my trips involve multiple tanks of gas in one day. My daily commute involves no driving (but several miles of biking, even in winter). However, I only own this car for the purpose of driving the 570 miles (each way) from Illinois to Oklahoma to visit my girlfriend.

With that in mind, I can only adjust my driving habits so far. My 570 mile trip is 100% highway, with a speed limit no lower than 65 MPH. So, my best bet is to get serious about aero mods. I think it's time for me to get serious about wheel skirts.