View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #659 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Of course they do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bomber Man View Post
I agree that the concept could be pretty simple, but we need to remember that wheel speeds do very even when the vehicle has complete traction. During a turn wheel speeds vary to each other depending on the steering position. The best way for me to show exactly what I mean is with this graphic from carbible.com

The system will probably need some tolerance built in plus something to account for the differences in radii.

Of course wheel speed varies around radii, but a simple input sensor on the steering system could control whether or not the traction control took effect, or limit exactly how much "give" there was in the duty of the traction controller (obviously, you don't want your TC to completely let go while you're going around a corner, but maybe limit it's effect so it's not so aggressive about making all the wheels spin the same speed.)

I think the right logic would allow the system to "understand" that you were cornering though, and compensate, since the values for one wheel vs the other wheel on a corner (with a given value for the steering correction sensor) will remain mostly constant.

The programming has to have some "give" anyway, for things like uneven tire wear, etc.