View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 08:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Drive Stick
Weight Reduction

Celica GTS - '02 Toyota Celica GT-S
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Drive Stick
You are totally right, motorcycle buyers have a different goal in mind. I just don't think this vehicle is going to be as big of a hit as they are hoping it will be, if you want a bike you didn't want a car.

If you buy a car, you were probably looking to stretch your money as far as it could go and get the most for your buck. With (I'm guessing here) an added 400 lbs of safety and emissions equipment to make this vehicle legal to purchase and drive on American roads, the cost will be doubled. The mileage will be decreased rather significantly which means a larger engine would be necessary to obtain similar mileage results. Thus the entire chassis would have to be redesigned costing their R&D dept. more than they want to spend to send it here anyway.

The quote Matt posted about the spokesperson saying an estimated 3 years before it's ready to come here basically confirms my belief that the entire vehicle would need to be redesigned in order to be sold here.

One lasp gripe, why can't anybody build a good looking fuel efficient vehicle? Seriously does every compact car that's even remotely good on gas have to look like a stone on wheels?

I'm happy to see cheap cars being built that are good on gas, I just don't see that car being a big hit anywhere other than in India, or the UK where people welcome this sort of alternative transportation.