View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Drive Stick
Weight Reduction

Celica GTS - '02 Toyota Celica GT-S
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Drive Stick
My Warm Intake & Temp #'s (mileage results tonight)

I did some research and came up with my own theory on warm air intakes. I had a target of between 120-140° (F) intake air & my car luckily was set up to do exactly what I wanted with out much modification.

Stock (shown below) the filter box sits over top of the exhaust manifold which has a double heat shield on it. Behind the filter box, is another box which was sealed other than a thin pipe leading to the actual inlet pipe for the induction system which drew in "some" warm air already. The open pipe you see between the intake tube and the brake fluid res. on the right is the stock intake configuration.

Warm Air Only (rough idea, finished product will look stock in all black) I removed the secondary warm air box from the rear of the filter box, and eliminated the intake pipe all together. I removed the exhaust manifold shields, and used metal reflective tape on the coolant reservoir to prevent it from melting with the extra radiant heat. I drilled a series of about 50-60 3/8" holes in the bottom of the filter box - this is now where the intake air is drawn right over top of the exhaust manifold.

Outside Air Temp (kinda cool today)

Idle Intake Temp (reading from between filter & throttle body)

2,000 RPM +/- Intake Air Temp
(somewhere between 1,500-2,000 off-load)

I went for a drive to warm up the car, and on a 46° day my idle intake temp was 126° & my offload (not moving) intake temp at 2,000 rpms was 140°

This is about where I wanted it, since when the vehicle is moving on a day that is 80° outside I can probably expect to see these same temps while driving / sitting at a light & not worry too much about sucking in air hot enough to cause pinging. If I do experience that I will deal with it down the line by using 89 octane fuel, instead of 87.

Once I fill the tank again tonight I will post my results with the new mileage after I go for a nice long cruise. (I am hoping to go up from 36 to 40) but I did more stop and go driving than usual so - we'll see!