View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 08:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
Matt Herring
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
Metro,

I figure it will take some time to get accustomed to the finer driving points of the Prius. Funny thing is I've been practicing the "Prius" glide techniques in my 4runner (since I don't get the car until next Tuesday). Accelerate to top of glide speed, foot off gas pedal, lightly tap gas pedal, disengage ICE (imaginary), shift to neutral. Yes...this would be considered "You know you're an ecomodder if..."

I'm planning to drive my Prius "stock" for the first tank to get used to it and find sweet spots with the SGII. This will give me a good starting point prior to any mods (including my driving style).

Planned mods to start (I'm really not that mechanically inclined but these two mods are very easy to accomplish and I found some nice examples researching online):
* Foam pipe insulation grill block (to expedite hybrid warming start cycle)
* Wheel Discs (either that of my own creation or purchased - thinking of putting my first $100 gas savings vs. 4runner into these if I purchase)
* PSI (sidewall rating is 35 psi so I'll probably stay right at that number on front and back)
* SGII instrumentation (already have it in my 4runner so will be moving it over to the Prius)

I have Ecomodder.com to thank for this Prius purchase. First, I would never even have been trying to improve my FE in the 4runner had I not found this site. Second, I would not have even thought of purchasing a Prius had I not found this site (I just got too tired of pouring gas into my tank and it pushed me over the edge on my last fill of 22 mpg in the 4runner).

Now I just have to pull good numbers in the Prius and make it worth the purchase. I believe I'm the first 2009 Prius on this site (at least the only one that uses the fuel log).