Thread: Hybrid idea
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
chuckm
Master EcoModder

Exploder - '02 Ford Explorer xlt

Rolla - '02 Toyota Corolla ce
Team Toyota
90 day: 44.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
At 75 volts and 50 amps, or 3750 Watts (continuous), a pack would only run about 53 seconds before exhausting - unless you have a pretty small load. Four in parallel for 75 volts and 200 amps would still only run 53 seconds at the 200 amps, so the genset would have to be running fairly continuously. I'm not sure 200 amps is enough to pull even a tadpole up to any decent speed, but the caps can handle 3X continuous for 5 seconds. That would kill discharge time quickly, and I'm not sure that 4 packs would really "...supply all the power I need." I'd guess a 6 X 12V battery pack would still be needed for the higher demand and less-than-instantaneous charges and discharges, but that's a whole lot better than carrying around 20 to 30 batteries!
Heh... you're right. Rather embarrassing miscalculation, wasn't it? Perhaps just one ultracap (for regen power uptake) tied to a couple of battery strings would be better. Unfortunately, now I'm in lithium battery range if I want to keep the weight down.

Last edited by chuckm; 03-28-2009 at 09:25 AM..