View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #690 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
The power wheel looks great! I read about it a while back, but I never tried it. As for the freewheel diode, the reverse recovery time is 20x longer than the ones I'm using, and I think that might be a problem causing voltage spikes. Mine take 22ns, but that monster diode takes 450 ns. Someone should try it. New they are $80, and I don't know how many there are for $40. It seems like a good idea to try it! Also, you need to de-rate modules to about 1/3 for their continuous rating, according to Lee Hart. But maybe that's OK still? You don't use that much current under normal driving.

I would be a little concerned about a connection between brass bolts, mosfet leads, and an aluminum disk. They used aluminum in wiring in the 70's, and down the road it lead to fires because of corrosion with the different metals, and because of the aluminum creeping I think. Maybe a copper disk if you wanted to be super careful.

I didn't see where he has his freewheel diodes, or what type. I guess you could think about where they have to be, and just put them there.

the paths of the capacitors, mosfets, and diodes must all be kept as short as possible. Otmar calls it the holy trinity.

Overall, it looks awesome!
His mosfets have almost 3 times the heat loss of mine. His RdsOn is 23 mOhms, and mine is 8. He didn't have a problem with heat loss, so maybe it doesn't matter.

I really like the idea of the layout! Maybe I'll try it. I'm just concerned about the long-term connection with the mosfet leads to the aluminum.

His aluminum disk is electrically hot, so you'd have to be careful about that.

Thank you for bringing that idea up! The guy made it work! It must be good!

Intrigued: Those days are behind me. hehehe. Oops, I'm just kidding, I mean. I have never excrypted whole dictionaries and compared the results to unshadowed password files in Unix. Never!

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 03-28-2009 at 12:20 PM..