View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 02:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Coyote X
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
Run Your Car on Water!!! (emulsion that is)

The hho nonsense seems to be going away finally so I figured I would drag this old idea back up to the top

Read this patent from 1979 Gasoline-water emulsion - Patent 4158551

I had a water injection system set up on my metro back when I first got it and I picked up 10% better mileage with it but it was nearly impossible to keep it adjusted and working properly. It was adding 1 gallon of water for every 10 gallons of gas used. This old patent idea is similar to injecting water into the intake manifold since it is just adding straight water to the combustion chamber. It is just getting around the whole metering process by mixing it directly into the gas in the tank. The idea is you are using some of the waste heat to convert the water into steam. Steam helps build higher cylinder pressures so it takes less gas to get the same cylinder pressure. Dry steam is 1600 times greater in volume than water. The good thing about this patent is that he lists the exact amounts of the materials required.

For a test I was thinking of using my bike since it is very easy to drain the tank if things don't work out. I could vary the ratio of water and gas in the solution and check my 0-60 times as well as fuel used by draining the tank to find out fuel used.

Should be an easy experiment assuming I ever get time to do it. Anyone got any ideas or comments?