View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #698 (permalink)
esoneson
EcoModder Student

Paul,

Here is my 2 cents for Version 2.

Cent one: Drop the atmega8 and go atmega16 or 32. I believe that the pins you are using in the atmega8 are a subset of the 16 and 32, so it should be easily accompished. The development envrinment supports all three microprocessors. With a change like this at the transition from Version 1 (the Ben memorial, I mean Ben Tester version) and the Paul Version 2, it will not impact any major design issues at this time. The 16 or 32 will allow for incremental software features to be added (just look at the list of features over the past several posts) on a as needed basis without having to change the processor in the middle of feature adds.

Cent 2: Go with the Power Wheel design for the mosfets. Easily done with hand tools for DIYer, adds gobs of safety for up to 1300 amps without damage and still allows for the normal 144v 500amp original design goal. Speaking as a person looking to keep costs low, I would gladly pay for an additional 5 mosfets in order to get the flexability that the Power wheel provides. Also, the cool temperatures that the article states is a real plus without having to install a gigantic copper bar to carry the heat away. How much did that bar cost anyways?

That's my vote for minimum changes for Version 2.

Thanks,

Eric