View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 10:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
TomO
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid Effects View Post
Thanks TomO

I have been looking into components for grille blocking but have yet to come up with a good design for the actual blocking part. The research I have also been doing is trying to motorize the grille blocking mechanism. I was thinking of having preset positions from a switch that would limit the amount of air according to the selections on the switch. If any one has a good Idea's that would allow free flowing air in the open position please post or email me.
If you can make the grill blocks out of fiberglass, you could install a slider channel near the top and bottom and have a certain sized section slide open and closed via a stepping motor. This way you could have several pre-set positions from a switch inside the cabin. With even further development you could automate the sliding portion via a homebrew thermostatically controlled controller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid Effects View Post
The thing about taking the time to design a boat-tail or the like is that in the fiberglass and carbon fiber industry is that people will order your part and copy it. Then all your hard work is down the drain so to speak but I will not discount the idea as I am looking into making rear wheel skirts for the Prius right now. What I would like to do is get a fairly simple product out on the market at first to generate capital to work on bigger projects like boat-tail's etc.

Thanks Franklin
An idea for a starter could be making a grill block for Metros and Civics since they abound on this site. The cost should be relatively low if using fiberglass and someone close to you willing to loan you their car for testing. That way you can build up some capitol for the Prius stuff.

You could also build some "aero caps" for the fog light recesses for civics as well as anything of the such for some of the other predominate models on the boards. Just a brainstorming thought.