View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 12:48 AM   #24 (permalink)
Allch Chcar
EtOH

Cordelia - '15 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport
90 day: 37.83 mpg (US)
Yeah, Subaru. I'm only in preplanning, but I'm researching whether it'd be easier to get a RWD like a Mustang and put the ICE and a dual shaft AC motor inline and use a 2 speed powerglide converted to manual. I'm thinking that using the pedal with a potentiometer and converting the engine to drive-by-wire aka electric throttle control and using the same signal for the AC motor would be do-able but I haven't found out how yet. I'd like to use a 1.3l/1.4l converted to E85 which would be enough for 70mph max and I'd like to try something like converting to Atkinson cycle or 6 stroke but those are only dreams.

The easy part is putting an off switch for the ICE. But I'd have to put a clutch between the ICE and the AC motor and either manually switch on the ICE or get the ICE to switch on when the battery level drop. I'm thinking I'll just get a 5kw/hr pack of Thundersky's LiFePo and use something like the Prius'(the best example I've got) 40%-80% charge cycle. Without the v6/v8 and with a smaller battery pack and Aero mods it just might get the 40 mp(GGE) I'm setting as the projected goal.