View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 02:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
lunarhighway
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
@Piwoslaw yup that's exactly the effect i had in mind
@Xringer i considdered mesh a while back...i think i made a post about it, i'll look it up, but what i could find on the web didn't say much about a speed related block effect, the most important thing i learend is that the air tends to travle as laminar flow (if that's the right term)... some distance beyond the mesh... but that's a different story.
@2000mc

it def isn't a bottom breather... the airflow was originally in no way forced up into the radiator... there are some holes in a support beam below and in front of the rad, but after some speculation i concluded they where structural. my undertray completely covers these and this has not changed cooling in any visible way... on the other hand these could serve as an additional intake when the fan comes on... than again at speed with the holes direcly behind the little airdam, some low pressure might actually such out air before it goes trough the rad...

i've only once had a near panic moment when a short distance from my home trafic came to a stop... the weather had been quite good that day but my full winter grillblock for the topgrill was still there and the temp would just go into the redline... fontunately shortly after that traffic resolved and i made it home, and pulled out the block....

so for now i'd like an all season block i can forget about
even if it's slightly worse in winter, being able to leave it in place in summer should mean a net improvement, or at worst the same effect without all the worries