View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

DFI, does anyone own it?

I've been gone for a while. I was trying to make a Stirling engine cooperate with an ICE to generate electricity to power electric motors.

I know it took a long time, and the results were mixed. Overall FE dropped(measured everything in KWHR produced per gallon fuel), but it could be done.

So I moved on for now.

The next topic that has got me fired up is Direct Fuel Injection or just DI. It occurs to me that someone here might own one, so I have questions. Please reply if you do.

Otherwise this is an open design project. If you don't know what it is Wikipedia is pretty accurate on this one. My design suspicion is that DFI can beat out hybrids in the next gen series.

My reasons are that DFI isn't necessarily Throttle dependent. In essence the gen 2 engines will be running WOT all the time and just varying how much fuel is injected. Preliminary data from research is suggesting from Ford DIE is 20% more Efficient and GM's counterpart is 30% more efficient than current ICE. 30% on a CVT civic gets you just over 50 mpg city.

I would gamble both of those numbers are liberal, considering both are suffering tanking pulic image and need someway out.

However other firms are running their own Ultra lean burns and getting close results.

My question is does Ultra lean burn occur at a lower temperature than 14.7:1 or higher.

I'm pretty confident it would not get as hot. example we have 29 grams of air in both situations 2 grams gas in stoich, and just one in lean. I'm pretty sure the lean will be a good bit cooler, but obviously above 50% of the BTUs released in the stoich chamber because we have the same amount of O2 burning.

IF, IF it runs cooler then I am pretty confident also that we can play around with the valve setup without having to worry too much about thermal warping.

I've been kicking around some ideas offline, but we weren't sure if you could expose the exhaust valves to room temperature over their lifetime without dramatically shortening their number of cycles.

Anybody?