View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
TeamCF
EcoModding Lurker

Keep A/C from running when you don't need it.

Hello.

I'm new here but wanted my first post to be useful.
So I'm putting it here.
Now I don't consider myself to be quite as dedicated as some of you.
I come more from the "more power" camp, but do want to always get the most MPG as well. (Tesla anyone?)
But I have been popping in and looking around from time to time and have come away with more ideas and respect for those trying to get the most out of the machine they have.

Anyway.
This is for those who still want to keep the A/C installed for those days they just can't do without it. But don't want it cutting into the quest for better MPG when they don't want it.

Some may know that most modern cars that have A/C equipped, actually turn it on when you switch the windshield defroster on. This is to dry the air to speed up the defrosting.
But this is also cutting into the MPG in the winter while all you want is the defrost, but get the A/C in the deal as well.

So this is what I did.
*I own a 2005 Ford Focus. (best MPG has been 37 and I was not always being "gentle" on a x-country trip) I also did this to my 2002 Focus.
This may be different depending on the vehicle, but I hope to point some in the right direction.

So I noticed when I turned the selector knob to defrost that the compressor kicked on. This had me right away looking for the cause. I know it's normal, but I didn't want it to work that way.
So I took apart the dash to get at the back of my selector knob. (this was a week old car keep in mind )
What I found was a wire plugged into a switch on the back of it.
I simply unplugged it.
That's it.
No more A/C compressor running all winter unless I hit the A/C switch.
for me it meant smoother running, more "oomph", and better MPG.
The selector knob I speak of is the one that you use to select wher the air blows, vent/floor/defrost/ect.

Like I said it may be slightly different on other cars. So you'll have to consult a wiring diagram or just poke around. But the basic principle will be the same.
To keep that pesky A/C compressor fully under YOUR control.