View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 08:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
Drive Stick
Weight Reduction

Celica GTS - '02 Toyota Celica GT-S
90 day: 36.32 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Drive Stick
I'd keep it simple - less is more when talking about electronics. I suggest you use the acronym EPIC for the controller.

EPIC would stand for Electronic Personal Intelligent Controller. The name is short and easy to market, the actual word Epic (non acronym) suggests this product is something important, and revolutionary. (In this case, is actually is since it was designed for anybody to use who is building their own EV correct?)

The target market will find humor in this, and the name is easy to remember. When trying to remember the name of a product you want it to stir emotions, the word Epic stimulates the mind, and is hard to forget.

"I bought my EPIC from Paul & Sabrina last night, wired it up and the vehicle is running flawlessly!"

I looked up the Acronym registry and found at least 73 other company's using this abbreviation for something or other. My favorite one was: "E.P.I.C. - End Poverty In California" Now don't take the fact that there are 73 acronyms alike to be a bad thing, this on the contrary is a good thing. (think google search, people search for something else and end up finding this and getting curious reading about it, and buying it.)

This tells you a few things about the acronym, the most intelligent designers found it to be a marketable acronym, and number 2 it really is Epic. As you can see, some don't give justice to the word at all.

Part of the definition of the word is the common goal among all EV enthusiasts.

Epic: "very imposing or impressive; surpassing the ordinary"

We all stand for one thing here, and that's building something which shows that we are doing just that, surpassing the ordinary.

In conclusion, I submit my humble 4 letter word to be chosen as the acronym for your exemplar controller. (something to be imitated; "an exemplar of success")

Just a little graphic for fun:

_ Brett

(Edit, I just read the thread, after posting this and I'd like to say for the record this has nothing to do with the guys post on page 1 I didn't read before i posted.)

Last edited by Drive Stick; 04-02-2009 at 08:59 AM..