View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

oh, it would also decrease the valve movement. They all just move 4 times at the same time. So instead of two cams for each cylinder you just need one. Or if its VTEC or equivalent you just need one system for all 4 instead of two.

I haven't considered the exhaust piping, but it would go from the side of each cylinder out the back of the block. A hood scoop(small) would likely be adviseable to cool the backside of the engine(which I'm sure during the winter someone here will block off to decrease startup to maximum efficiency.) I predict engine temps will run much cooler, because the incoming air through(what grill you have left, coroplasters) will not have to heat soak across the exhaust pipes as well.

It would also radically improve the amount of power pulled out of a turbo because the pipes aren't in contact with cool air at all so no Q is lost. The turbo would not decrease FE at all because its not O2 controlled. . .its fuel direct injected, which is determined only by your foot and nothing else.

It would very likely radically improve FE(I suspect instead of being a HP mod they would become an equivalent for FE(because its adding even more air that you don't have to pay for, unlike gas)).

I suspect also that you can go much lower than 1.3% at compression. Normal air is not terrifically keen on burning. Yes it will do it but there are too many nitrogen molecules to really make it happen. Higher pressure gets the odds of having multiple O2 molecules that are almost touching up. Also during the compression the temperature alone will come reasonably close to causing the air to burn, afterall those two factors are what cause detonation or knock in your engine.

Last edited by theunchosen; 04-02-2009 at 10:19 AM..