Thread: My new Civic VX
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
deft
EcoModding Lurker

stolen, recovered

I can't believe I didn't post about it here since I posted everywhere else, but after barely having the car for 1 month it was stolen on the 20th of February. To make it even worse my best bike, a 92 Pinarello Galileo with good stuff on it, was locked up in the back of it and stolen with it.

I posted non stop about it on craigslist and local blogs, put up -hundreds- of flyers, combed through the area's known stolen car dump spots, followed several false leads, even tried to track it down by posing as a used civic parts buyer with no results.

After about 5 weeks I had lost most all hope of recovering it in any decent condition and was shopping for the next car. I got reminded then just how hard to find Civic VXs are, especially with around 100k miles and one owner. Then one night a cyclist wrote me saying he saw the car at 45th Ave. NE and NE 55th St., I headed straight for it and found it there INTACT, WITH THE BIKE STILL IN IT.

They had only stolen the battery, stereo, and some random things that were in the car. Best part is that the people right next door to the little dead-end (right next to a very popular biking trail, the burke-gilman trail) had seen some kids taking my stuff out of the car and recognized them - because these kids were THEIR NEIGHBORS. So currently the cops are looking into all this and I expect they will likely arest the punks and hopefully recover some of my stuff.

Now I'm making the car basically theft-proof with a few simple additions which makes it into a very hard car to steal; locks/switches/alarm, and a one-way ticket to jail for anyone who does -- see baitcar.com, it's something like that. I love the car more than ever now and am planning some mods to it after the anti-theft stuff is finished.