View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 01:15 AM   #1068 (permalink)
nubie
MAD Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
I only went around the block once to try it out. No traffic down the street at all. (Just watch the speed limits!)
All's well that ends well

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
The car ended up being higher than I was expecting! I wasn't trying to install a "lift-kit", but the pavement to body of car centered over the middle of the wheel is now 26"/26.5".

But wow! Actual suspension! I can push on the back of the car and it goes up and down!!!

It rides over bumps! Amazing!

If I still had a back seat, I think the suspension would actually handle people sitting back there!
Very awesome. Those springs were made for the front of a fairly beefy pickup with a V6 (for some reason Ford Rangers always remind me of Ford tractors). So it stands to reason it could really push up the back of a Hatchback with some batteries.

I am glad you have some safety back in the suspension, it is really painful to drive overloaded on the suspension stops. I once took an 80 mile trip through a canyon, down one side and up the other, in a VW Rabbit with probably 1300 pounds in it. Four big 6ft 230lb+ people and my tools and all our stuff, plus a computer or two I think. But VW's are built like tanks compared to a Geo.