View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
GoodOak
Pickup Fuel Meiser

Blackline - '09 Nissan Frontier King Cab SE V6

Jetta - '11 Volkswagen Jetta Sportswagen TDI
Hello... I bought a truck, and need to make it more efficient

Hi All,

I'm checking in from Madison WI. I have been driving a small, fuel efficient car for years, but I recently had to buy a 2009 Nissan Frontier for my business (native landscaping and natural areas management). Since a big gas guzzler is my only car now I want to do whatever I can to make it as fuel efficient as possible.

I ride a bicycle quite a bit, so leaving the truck in the garage as much as possible is my first line of defense. I will also be buying one of those MPG sensors and my wife and I will be working to improve our driving habits. Another initial mod I will try is those pizza pan wheel covers since it looks cheap, easy and looks pretty slick. And when they become available, I hope to buy one of these bed caps. I'm definitely interested in other mods, but I'd like to keep my truck looking pretty good since it is my business vehicle and impressions are important. That said, drawing a little attention to myself with some environmentally responsible modifications wouldn't be such a bad thing in my line of business. Also the truck needs to continue to be functional off-road as well so, for example, any aero mods must not interfere with that. One thought I had was if a full-belly skid plate would provide both off-road protection and an aero advantage. I don't know much about these though.

I have a question about grill covers: A lot of people are suggesting these improve aerodynamics. Would a product like the ones below improve the aerodynamics at all?

Other suggestions for making a truck more fuel efficient are welcome.