View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
rkcarguy
EcoModding Apprentice

Aero design question

In the effort of designing a more slippery vehicle while still maintaining decent looks, is it possible to see a lower CD by offering a "channel" that would allow air to flow thru/under the vehicle?
I noticed the Loremo design is like this, the floor is higher up except at the tires. I'd be interested in having this channel be narrower but far taller, forming a "center console" between driver and passenger that is for example 12" wide and 18" tall..
Air would enter the grille area say 12" tall by 36" wide, and instead of just running into an engine, be routed thru the channel back under a rear mounted engine and out, pulling exhaust with it.
The squeezing of the channel would accelerate the air under the car and help provide a more balanced shape, as a generally slippery car shape tends to resemble a wing and can get dangerous at higher speeds.
I keep looking at all these sleek cars heading for the x-prize competition wondering if there is more to be gained by using such a method and getting rid of more frontal area....