Thread: Hot water!
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Atomic Ass
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Newer hot water tanks have digital thermometers so that the water has a specified temperature at a specified time of day. The rest of the time it's cooler. There's usually lots of insulation, so it doesn't lose that much heat overnight, or between morning and evening. Also, if it's electric, you might be able to take advantage of cheaper electricity at night, warming water when it's cheaper and then "coasting" through the rest of the day. Also, tanks can take advange of other sources of hot water, like solar or heat pump, they can also be used to dump extra power from wind turbines when it's windy. If you're planning on not being home for longer periods, then you just turn it off.
It's an older heater without an automatic thermostat, so that's a no-go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
"Honor thy father..." if you like, but don't depend on him as a source of technical advice :-)

Your analysis is correct, but I thnk a better & cheaper solution than using on-demand heaters everywhere would be to get a solar hot water system to maintain the temperature in your storage tank.
I'm thinking theoretically, and yes, in the case of a house a solar heating system would be better, but it would also require lots of installation. Add to that he's too poor for either solution.

I just like arguing with the old goat.