Thread: Lights out EOC
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 11:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
theunchosen
Master EcoModder

Definitely safest bet to avoid tampering with the Aveo's standard wiring(and risking warranty voiding when something else goes wrong or more importantly short-circuiting something on accident) would be to pop on small fog lights at the very bottom of the grill. Grill block and an independent switch would allow you to run them without the split second switch.

My guess is its probably switching from running off the alt to avoid burning the battery life and then its programmed to shunt unnecessary functions. I kinda doubt the switching is causing much of that because most cars do that unnoticeably, but I'm not sure why there would be any interruption with the lights being on otherwise. The systems that shunt off "unnecessary" functions would be nearly instant(like air bags in my car that are instantly off but nothing else shows any cessation).

Wiring to the battery itself with a separate switch would avoid any "smart" tech it has to smooth that transition(the cause for the park lights to be off and then on after a short break) and it would avoid the car "outsmarting" you and trying to keep you from leaving your lights on.

Its also incredibly simple.